Thursday, October 31, 2013

Homemade Sausage

Boredom can have a myriad of effects on people.  Many people choose to read a book or call a friend.  I often will wander through grocery stores.  The thought process goes something like this:

"Hhhhmmmmmm, leftover minestrone and kalamata olive bread for dinner.  I'm sure that before I froze it last time I inevitably picked out all the delicious sausage as a snack.

"I need to get some Italian sausage.

"Arrrggghhhhh, I hate Johnsonville brand! It's tasteless AND has corn syrup in it.  And it's 5.99/lb.

"Hhhmmmmm, pork shoulder is 1.99/lb and I would know exactly what's going into my fantastic sausages.  Yeahhhh! I get to taste fennel again!

"Hhhmmmmm, I mos def do not want to drive all the way over to a specialty meat market for casings, especially since they carry sausage I like anyway and could just buy it.

"Wait a minute, true I am at a crappy Mexican grocery store but I've noticed that the butcher counter here makes their own Chorizo. Now I have something to do for the afternoon."

Yes, that is the thought process that led me to making sausage.  And yes, I happen to own a meat grinder and the sausage stuffing attachment to the Kitchen Aid which I'd previously never used.  (The sausage stuffer, not the grinder.  I use the grinder every time I make hamburgers.)  And yes, I also happen to always have paprika, cayenne, crushed red pepper, fennel & anise seeds, and Italian herbs. Always. I procured a 4 lb. pork shoulder, one full length of casings and I was on my way.

Here's the recipe I used:  http://tinyurl.com/6zdcpcq

It was indeed fantastic and worth the labor.  I was too lazy to go back to the store, but I left out the red wine and parsley and it was still really, really good.  Give it a try next time you're bored and have already read the New Yorker for the week.  I think some homemade lamb and blueberry breakfast sausages are in my near future.

2 comments:

  1. Man you do have some time on your hands! But it sounds delicious. My parents used to make blood sausage down my basement when I was a little girl. Used meat from my aunt and uncle's farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would tackle blood sausage as you have to buy pig's blood by the quart, mix it, and then poor it into the casings. Holly probably wouldn't like that very much.

      Delete